我向空中射一枝箭, I shot an arrow into the air,
不知它落到哪里; It fell to earth, I knew not where:
它飞得好快呵, For so swiftly it flew, the sight
眼睛跟不上它的踪迹。 Could not follow it in its flight.
我向空中唱一支歌, I breathed a song into the air,
不知它落到何方; It fell to earth I knew not where;
谁有这样尖、这样强的眼力 For who has sight so keen and strong,
能追上歌声的飞翔? That it can follow the flight of song?
很久很久以后,在橡树上 Long, long afterward, in an oak,
我找到那枝箭,还不曾折断; I found the arrow still unbroke;
还有那支歌,也被我找到, And the song, from beginning to end,
从头到尾藏在朋友的心间。 I found again in the heart of a friend.